Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween Pumpkin Losers! (should have been winners)

Tara and I dress up every year for Halloween. We didn't have a costume this year so we improvised.
Shane's cousin Dre came with us this Halloween. She takes such good care of Crew. Dre dressed up as a Gypsy.
Grandma, Crew, Spiderman (Jaxon), and a scary pirate (Bailey).
Crew dressed up as a dinosaur. Instead of yelling Trick or Treat, he would yell HELLO!

OK this is what happened. Every year we have a BIG pumpkin carving contest. Almost every year I win. It's not that we are so talented, but I obsess over this for days. I literally make myself sick. So this year my sister and I teamed up. We did this zombie head with worms coming out of his eyes and his two flesh rotting hands on two other pumpkins and to top it off got gummy worms covered them in dirt and had them coming out of the pumpkin.
This took Shane, Tara and me three hours to do.
I thought for sure we had it in the bag. My grandma and grandpa are the judges every year and my grandma always chooses the one with the most detail.
My brother Dave who has the same passion to win as I do talked his up so much and when the unveiling of pumpkins came.....
his was a face with horns, the simplest pumpkin he has ever done. We were all laughing because the winner was soooooo obvious. The judges came and unfortunately my grandma was sick so it was my grandpa, my uncle Kirt and aunt Linda.
The end result was shocking. My brother Dave won. Can you believe that!!!
I had to call foul play, ran over to my grandmas house with pictures of the pumpkins and the truth came out.
Foul play for sure. In all of my 25 years of life I have never known my mother to cheat, but here comes the twist. She was tired of taking last place so she called and bribed the judges (meaning my grandpa and uncle). When the judges came to choose the winner they chose the one they thought was my mom and dads and accidentally chose Davids instead. I was so ripped off. My grandpa and Uncle have now been kicked off the pumpkin judging board. As for my brother he has been rubbing his win in my face for days!! O'well next year.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ASHLEY!!!

I have been looking for you FOREVER. I haven't seen you since your wedding I think! I can't find you on facebook. Where have you been child. I can't believe you have a little one. I had no idea Tara went on a mission... omg, we have so much catching up to do! Write me! Love you, Lacee Tarver

Unknown said...

we aren't married yet but we will be sure to invite you. My mom is great. She is a designer and works out in Tooele and lives in Lehi, not married anymore. Bummer about the pumpkin contest, that was cheap! I would be so mad! Jason and I have been dating about 9 months. I got my associates from UVSC and I work at a company called Omniture. Thats about it for me. You look great! Where is Eden?

anne said...

That is definitely unfortunate. I thought yours looks pretty dang awesome.